Thursday, November 8, 2007

Let's masticate conspicuously.....

DISCLAIMER: Monday I went to Houston’s venerable Last Concert Café, where I feasted on Mama’s Little Dinner. After the usual complimentary corn tortillas and what I consider the best salsa in the city, it starts with a beef taco and a delicious ensalada tipica, which is made with corn and black beans. The salad is followed by enchiladas (I splurged a buck for the beef) smothered in chili gravy, and refrieds and Mexican-style rice. I also splurged for a side of their fine guacamole. Along with a bottomless glass of ice tea, the total cost was $18, including a generous tip, and I left feeling like a combination of Fat Elvis and the King of Texas. Take THAT, rich people...

Here's a pic of the place... if you live in Houston, you owe it to your palate to visit... and for that matter you owe it to your ears to visit in the evening...



And now, to the silliness...

I'm bored with Bling H2O. At $24 a bottle it just doesn't speak to my need to consume the best of the best.

So for breakfast tomorrow I'm having the "Zillion Dollar Frittata" at Le Parker Meridien. This delight is a mixture of eggs, lobster and 10 ounces of sevruga caviar. On the side I'll have a bagel topped with white truffle cream cheese and goji berry infused Riesling jelly with golden leaves from chef Frank Tujague of The Westin New York hotel at Times Square. Breakast, without juice and coffee, is $2000.





Well, heck, now it's almost lunchtime.  

I'm torn... should I go for a Philly Cheeseteak from Philadelphia steakhouse Barclay Prime? It's Kobe beef with butter poached lobster and shaved French black truffles. The cheese is melted Taleggio imported from Italy, a far cry from the standard provolone. The sandwich is served on a homemade brioche bun finished with house-made mustard, along with a small bottle of Veuve Clicquot champagne. A steal at $100.



Or would I be happier with a burger from Celebrity chef Daniel Bouloud? His burger is stuffed with red wine-braised short ribs (off the bone), foie gras, a mix of root vegetables and preserved black truffle. Hold the ketchup though, the pièce de résistance is a double helping of fresh black truffles on top. This humble gnosh is served on a homemade toasted parmesan and poppy seed bun with a touch of fresh horseradish, oven roasted tomato confit, fresh tomato, red onions and frisée lettuce.

Foodies should note that the Royale, as it's called, is only served at DB Bistro Moderne in New York City and at the Daniel Boulud Brasserie in Las Vegas during the black truffle season, which usually runs from late December through the end of March. And it's a tad more expensive than the cheesesteak at $120.



Either way, hold the fries because I'm going with the macaroni and cheese at LA's Mélisse restaurant. Chef Josiah Citrin spares no expense grating a hefty portion of white truffles over his fresh tagliatelle, smothered in parmesan cheese and brown butter truffle froth. It's $95. 

Fortunately, as you are NO DOUBT aware, white truffle season overlaps black truffle season in December.



I haven't made my dinner choices yet, but for dessert I definitely want a slice of $1.65 million Diamond Fruit cake. It boasts 223 diamonds. I'm not sure what's IN it, but it MUST be good... right???




I'll wash it down with a glass of Domaine Romanee Conti (DRC) Romanee Conti Red Burgundy, France (Pinot Noir). The 2002 Vintage is currently fetching upwards of $6,000 USD per bottle. The 2005 vintage is expected to top that, so if the 2005 is available, do have the somellier fetch it.



And a stogie... preferably a 5 1/2 inch, 42 ring gauge La Corona made in 1937. Each cigar will set me back $1,000, but the purveyor throws in a bottle of Prohibition-era whiskey (labeled "For Medicinal Purposes Only.") Sorry, no photo is available...

Ahhh, now I feel better. Take that, poor people...

No comments: