Saturday, November 3, 2007

Hillary gets the big head... again...

Responding to complaints her opponents were piling on her because she is a woman, Hillary Clinton said:
I don't think they're piling on me because I'm a woman. I think they were piling on me because I'm winning... I anticipate it's going to get even hotter, and if you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. I'm very much at home in the kitchen.

She's right, of course. I have no dispute with her assessment, or her ability to handle "the heat." I do have a problem with her in general. Her attitude, especially at this early point of the race, is just too smug for me.

And the last thing the country needs after eight years of "yer either fer us or agin us" 
is an attitude that says "I am the winner, so deal with it," because it's just one step from there to what we already have, a sense of American world entitlement.

Don't misunderstand me. I do feel that America is "the greatest country on earth," but that doesn't mean it is the right way to behave. It reminds me a bit of the valedictorian of my high school graduating class. Bob B. was smart as a whip but so stuck on himself that no one wanted to deal with him. At our ten year reunion, you'd have thought he was holding court, and I realized that as much as I admired his intelligence and accomplishments I disliked him for his arrogance.

And that is not the sort of person I want representing the United States going froward.

Hillary may be electable, but is this what we really want, Argentinian style dynastic leadership?

Politics as usual got us into the mess we are now in and it's time for politics as unusual to get us out of it.
 


No comments: